Monday 17 January 2011

Changing Rooms

I’ll kick off with a recent spontaneous Mel moment. I happened to have four odd hours to kill in an unfamiliar town in Buckinghamshire. It seemed the town had little to offer an out of uniform TV but some low-end fashion and charity shops. Of course, I had to visit them all. But, that left me with about three and a half hours still to kill. So, I wandered out of town and stumbled upon a retail outlet containing a few other shops – Next clearance shop and Matalan. Tried Next first - nothing but rubbish. So, I tried Matalan. I don’t usually shop there but had previously bought a cardigan from a different branch. This particular branch was massive and actually had loads of really good stuff. I was very tempted by quite a few items – a nice little skirt, a few tops etc. I wandered over to the sale section and immediately saw a great casual/smart dress. I was flicking through the rails completely conscious that all the other customers doing the same were women. There I was in full male mode, passing time with women, looking at dresses and skirts. Felt great. I was very tempted at this point to take the dress to the changing rooms but decided against it. Instead, I walked out of the shop and carried on my merry way. When back in town, I found a pub and settled in for a coke or two whilst doing some laptop work.
Later, I decided to go for another wander and my thoughts (predictably) turned to the dress. I found myself going back to Matalan to have another look. This time, the urge was too much and I decided that I should try it on. They only had size 10 and 12 and I wanted to make sure it fitted OK. Well, I took it off the rail on its hanger and draped it over one arm to carry it to the changing rooms. At this point I felt a mixture of nerves and excitement as you can probably imagine. Male and female changing rooms were next to each other and ‘manned’ by a very attractive young lady who was talking to another female member of staff. I waltzed over, showed her the dress and said ‘OK to take this in to try?’. She looked a little surprised at first and I said ‘I realise it’s probably not the norm’ and smiled. She smiled back and said ‘yeah, no problem’. Going into the cubicle I felt great and couldn’t wait to get my male gear off and slip the dress on. I could hear another guy in the next cubicle talking to his wife about the fit of his trousers. I couldn’t help but giggle to myself as I admired the fit of the dress. God, it felt great. Not sure whether anyone saw me through the gap in the curtain – actually, I kind of hope they did.
So, after a short while, I took the dress off and changed back. Then, I walked out of the changing rooms with the dress over my arm, said thanks to the assistant and went to pay. Of course, there was a long cue and there I was, clearly a guy, waiting to pay for what was clearly a dress. All the till operators at this point were girls. This was until they called for more cover and, of course, I got the one lad. To his credit, he handled the transaction (or is that trannysaction) well. Once paying for this bargain, I wandered out of the shop and back to be picked up in town.
Can’t wait to have a proper adventure in the dress and, of course, I’ll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment